Island Peak Climbing
Height: 6189m (20,305ft), NepalBest Season: April-May & October- November
Location: Solukhumbu Region
One of the peaks rising from the south ridge of Lhotse(8516m) and rising up to an elevation of 6189m. Island Peak and its geographical foundation is an absolute stunner that it catches eyes of tourists from as far as up to Dingboche (4530m). In fact it was Eric Shipton and his team who named the peak Island peak standing in Dingboche itself in 1951 as the peak looked like an island in the pool of ice.
Some Interesting Facts of Island peak
• 1st successful ascend in 1956 by Swiss team
• 1st ascend to Island peak was a result to exercise peak climbing for Mt.Everest
• Famous as Island peak it also is known as Imja Tse
• Technically difficult peak of Nepal with a given grading of alpine (PD+)
The Island peak periphery offers an extended spectacular view of mountains inclusion of Mt. Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse, Makalu and many others. The views Everest from the summit of Island peak is blocked by the extended portion of Lhotse standing tall at the north.
Brief Route Information
After sightseeing and getting to know Nepal up close by going around the Kathmandu valley while the rest of Silver mountain adventure team is making ready required permits, merchandize, tickets and other necessary material the whole team will board an early morning flight to Lukla Airport, one of the most adventurous airstrips of the world according to National Geography. Our on trail route starts from Lukla and moves ahead in a sequence to Phakding-Namche Bazaar-Tengboche-Dingboche-Chhukkung-Island Peak base camp-Island Peak-Khumjung-Namche-Lukla-Kathmandu.
It is rated alpine (PD+) trek which means
• Slightly difficult, longer routes, up to 45S04; of ice and snow slopes, complex glacier, harder scrambling, some belaying in climbing, some rappelling descents.
• Crevasse could create problems while ascends and descents causing life and death scenario. Although crevasse has not troubled the climbers since once in 2009, it is something to keep an eye on.
• To climb a peak of this intensity ideal level of fitness is required. Interested candidates must not just have history of every day workout but also cardio vascular training. Some past experience of high altitude or lengthy technical hiking would come in handy at times.
• Basic level of knowledge on using mountaineering equipment is advised.
• The technical peaks are not allowed to peak alone by the government and not recommended by Silver Mountain Adventure.
• We would request you to be accompanied by our trained guides without which the trek is close to impossible.
Silver Mountain adventure is very concerned about your health and security. Your safety is uttermost important to us which is why our guides are provided with authority to add or delete any section of the itinerary in harsh and unpredicted situations while on the trails. Silver Mountain shall discuss in details of the itinerary and required outfit after reporting to our office in Nepal. Giving instruction about do’s and don’ts while in the country is must along with acclimatization training and use of mountaineering equipments in brief which is a regular drill at Silver mountain which will be applicable for this trek as well. For other details please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cost Include / Exclude
- Inquiry / Booking
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu and transfer to hotel. (1,300m/4,264 ft)
Day 02: Kathmandu valley sightseeing and trip preparation (1,300m/4,264 ft)
Day 03: Fly to Lukla and Trek to Phakding (2,652m/8,700ft)
Day 04: Trek to Namche Bazaar (3440m/11,283ft)
Day 05: Acclimatize day at Namche
Day 06: Trek to Tengboche (3,867m/12684ft)
Day 07: Trek to Dingboche (4,358m/14,295 ft)
Day 08: Acclimatized day
Day 09: Trek Chhukung( 4,730m/15,518ft)- 3 to 4 hrs
Day 10: Trek to Island Peak Base camp (5,200m/17,060ft), 3-4 hours
Day 11: Island Peak High Camp (5,600m/18,372ft), 2-3 hours
Day 12: Island Peak summit (6,189m/20,305ft) & return back to Chhukung, 8-10 hours
Day 13: Trek to Khumjung (3,780m/12,401ft)
Day 14: Trek to Namche (3,440m/11,283ft), 4-5 hrs
Day 15: Trek to Lukla (2,652m/8,700ft)
Day 16: Fly to Kathmandu (1,300m/4,264 ft)
Day 17: Final departure
Airport pick up and transfer to hotel
3 nights’ accommodation in Kathmandu on twin sharing basis with breakfast
Welcome & Farewell dinner in Kathmandu at one of the typical Nepalese local restaurant
A day guided city tour of Kathmandu valley
Required private transport at Kathmandu
Kathmandu/ Lukla/ Kathmandu flight, airport taxes and transfer
Everest National Park Permit/ trekking & TIMS Card
Island Peak Climbing Permit
All necessary Gov. Taxes and service charges
Transfer to the airport for the final departure by private vehicle
Nepal Visa, in/out flight to Kathmandu
Your meals at Kathmandu, except provided dinner and breakfast
Entire cold and alcoholic beverages on the trip
Tour in nepal